Banner ad

Monday, April 11, 2011

Cruising the Web

George Shultz explains why we should get rid of all the czars in the executive branch.

My husband brings us
the comedic stylings of Jonathan Chait.

Rich Lowry has a slogan for the Republicans as we debate Paul Ryan's budget plan. "Fine, what's yours?"

Robert Samuelson explains how government is doing too much and how this makes any sort of reform almost impossible. We just expect it to do too much.

Here is a cogent explanation of why we shouldn't abolish the Electoral College.

Minnesota has to cut a lot of money from education spending, but there is still money to send teachers to a "White Privilege Conference, whatever that is. But judging from their 2009 conference, it has absolutely nothing to do with true education.

Progressives are whining
that the Tea Party is "kicking their butts."

Some proposed slogans for the Obama 2012 campaign. Here are some of my favorites:
*Change We Need, and That I Promised Four Years Ago, Except in the Areas Where I Continued Bush's Policies, or Where Through No Fault of My Own Things Got Worse, Because Let's Face It Not All Change is For the Better - Not That You Should Dwell

* If You Vote For Me Only Once You're a Racist

*I Finally Got Some of That Experience You Were Bitching About

*Confident Smugness For An Uncertain World

*Give Me a Second Chance, And I'll Prove You Are Worthy of Me

*No Matter What Crisis I Cause, I Will Remain Serenely Above It


tfhr said...

More Obama slogans for 2012:

"Because Jimmy Carter Deserves a Third Term"

"My Kids Are Honor Students at Sidwell Friends",8599,1861334,00.html

"Four More Years - So Many Golf Course, So Little Time"

"Are You Kidding? Leave This Job...In This Job Market?!"

Davod said...

"George Shultz explains why we should get rid of all the czars in the executive branch."

Maybe it is timely to reread "The Work of Diplomacy" a speech given by former Secretary of State George P. Shultz on the occasion of the dedication ceremony for the The George P. Shultz National Foreign Affairs Training Center, on May 29, 2002, in Arlington, Virginia.

A segment is included here:

"Let me conclude with a story from my time in office. When an ambassador had made it through the hurdles of nomination and confirmation, I invited him or her to my office and said, “Before you can leave, you have one more test. Go over to that globe and show me that you can identify your country.” Without exception, the ambassador-to-be spun the globe and located the country to which he would be posted.

One day, the late Mike Mansfield, already many years our ambassador to Japan and an old friend from my previous times in the cabinet, came in for a visit just before he was to return to Tokyo. I told him about my little test and said, “Mike, how about you?” He and I laughed, and he went to the globe. Mike put his hand on the United States and said, “Here’s my country.”

In this setting dedicated to representation, always remember Mike’s words. Be proud to be a citizen, let alone a representative, of the greatest country ever, the United States of America."