Banner ad

Thursday, September 16, 2010

How a Democrat solicits campaign donations

Big Government has the voice mail that Eleanor Holmes Norton, the Democratic member from the District of Columbia, left on the voice mail of a lobbyist from whom she was soliciting a campaign donation. Here is her message:
This is, uh, Eleanor Norton, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton. Uh, I noticed that you have given to uh, other colleagues on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. I am a, um, Senior Member, a twenty year veteran and am Chair of the Sub-committee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management. I’m handling the largest economic development project in the United States now, the Homeland Security Compound of three buildings being built on the uh, old St. Elizabeth’s hospital site in the District of Columbia along with uh, fifteen other, uh, sites here for, that are part of the stimulus .

I was, frankly, uh, uh, surprised to see that we don’t have a record, so far as I can tell, of your having given to me despite my uh, long and deep uh, work. In fact, it’s been my major work, uh, on the committee and sub-committee it’s been essentially in your sector.

I am, I’m simply candidly calling to ask for a contribution. As the senior member of the um, committee and a sub-committee chair, we have (chuckles) obligations to raise, uh funds. And, I think it must have been me who hasn’t, frankly, uh, done my homework to ask for a contribution earlier. So I’m trying to make up for it by asking for one now, when we particularly, uh, need, uh contributions, particularly those of us who have the seniority and chairmanships and are in a position to raise the funds.

I’m asking you to give to Citizens for Eleanor Holmes Norton, PO Box 70626, DC, 20024. I’ll send you a follow-up note with appreciation for having heard me out. Thanks again.
You can click on over to Big Government to hear the full recording.

Boy, that lobbyist must have been really offended to have turned that voice mail over to Andrew Breibart's Big Government. Heh.

Remember that is against the House Ethics rules to link a request for a donation to a specific action taken by a House member. And here she is reminding the lobbyist of what she has done in that lobbyist's "sector." Big Government details what is so unethical about this phone call.
2. More serious, however, is her frequent mention of her seniority and her Chairmanship of a subcommittee. She is attempting to solicit funds based on her past actions taken in her official capacity in Congress. She is implying to the lobbyist that, should he decline to donate, he will be turning down a senior member of Congress who Chairs a subcommittee highly relevant to his “sector”.

3. Worse than that, she details her role overseeing a large economic development project in the District, funded by “stimulus” funds. It would appear that either the lobbyist has an interest in this project, or the Congresswoman thinks he does, as she states she is “frankly surprised” the lobbyist hasn’t given to her.
One more Democratic member of the House who needs to be chastised for her ethics violations. It's getting to be quite a long list. She can join Charlie Rangel, Maxine Waters, and Eddie Bernice Johnson in trying to pretend that is simply racism that is behind their problems, but the answer is much simpler. They're corrupt and think that the rules don't apply to them.


bill russell said...

"Boy, that lobbyist must have been really offended to have turned that voice mail over to Andrew Breibart's Big Government. Heh."

Not sure that lobbyists are genetically able to feel offended. Quite possibly this one was just able to read the polls and realizes he/she will be " voluntarily contributing" to the other party after November 2. He/she may have seen sharing this tape with Breibart as a means to make a good early impression with his new BFF's.

pumping-irony said...

Guess when Nancy drained that swamp, she left a few slimeballs.

Timothy Lee said...

Surprised the party et al haven't provided a lawyer approved script to read/follow.

Noumenon said...

I would have thought this was the approved script. "Hi, I'm a Congressperson. I work on stuff that's important to you and I have lots of seniority and power. Please give me money."

I don't see the ethics violations at all. She's no Blagojevich.