Banner ad

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This explains something; I'm just not sure what

Here is a simply unbelievable factoid about British adults.
[I]t seems more and more Britons have come to see nothing wrong with keeping ted in the bed.

More than a third of us still hug a childhood soft toy while falling asleep, according to a survey of 6,000 British adults.

More than half of Britons still have a teddy bear from childhood and the average teddy bear is 27 years old.

Those who slept with a teddy told researchers that they found it was a comforting and calming way to de-stress at the end of the day.

And 25 per cent of men polled said they took their teddy away with them on business because it reminded them of home.

Even Prince Charles travels everywhere with his childhood teddy, according to claims in a book by the U.S. writer Christopher Andersen.

Hotel chain Travelodge, which carried out the research, said that in the past year staff have reunited more than 75,000 teddies and their owners.

Spokesman Shakila Ahmed said: ‘Interestingly the owners have not just been children, we have had a large number of frantic businessmen and women call us regarding their forgotten teddy bear.
I guess I should wait for a poll of American adults before I start cracking jokes, but I sure hope that 25% of American men are not traveling on business trips with a teddy bear.

The infantilization of adults by modern government reaches its logical conclusion.


Pat Patterson said...

I think a large portion of travelling American businessmen are hoping to meet something either bare or at least wearing a teddy.

Jeff Hall said...

Whoa! How can you say that this is the result of men being infantilized by modern government? For all you know, the number of men carrying teddy bears in the UK has been declining in recent years. We only have data for this year.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if a fourth of all American men also traveled with stuffed toys. I think you'd be shocked at the number of soldiers who carry plush toys or souvenirs which they keep in their bunks. I wasn't one of them of course.)

tfhr said...

There's an Al Gore joke here that hinges on "stuffed" and the stuff that Pat Patterson brought up but at the risk of bringing up my dinner, I'm backing away from this one.