Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to Van Morrison

Today is Van Morrison's birthday. There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't listen to some Van the Man. No matter what I'm doing, listening to him puts me in a good mood. I like to put him on when I'm grading papers - it helps mellow me out. Here is one of my favorite Morrison songs, Tupelo Honey.


And here's one more - the performance that stole the show in The Band's valedictory concert, Van performing "Caravan" in The Last Waltz.
We saw that movie on our honeymoon. It was amazing how Van could outshine such stars as Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan, but there was no doubt that he was the true highlight of that movie.

That will get you going this morning no matter what is on your schedule. In fact, I'm primed now to finish grading the tests my students took yesterday.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Morrison, and thank you for all the pleasure I've received over the years listening to your music.

4 comments:

montrose said...

Its my Birthday also & I am a Van the Man Fan

bakerygirl1952 said...

Happy Birthday to Van the Man!

We play only Van Morrison Cds every single day at our hometown bakery in Kansas City. It's the "Gospel According to Van". I only hope he never stops doing live concerts.

Love, Love, Love you Van!

Kurt said...

Betsy, I read your blog several times a week, agree with you mostly, and comment never.

But today I am compelled to join you in appreciation for Van and his music. He has been a good companion for many years, and his songs are trusted friends.

Thanks for your post, which compelled me to put that sentiment into words.

Sokmnkee said...

My favorite is "Brown-Eyed Girl."