QUESTION 1 (DBQ): Deals with the influence of the Puritans on colonial New England in the mid-1600's.
- Women led submissive lives under their husbands and other men.
- The building of Harvard and Yale created more monks and nuns.
- The northeastern colonies had a profound impact on God.
- Puritan women would have several children a year until they became infertile, truly illustrating the "Puritan work ethic."
- After he taught evolution, the Puritans wanted Scopes hanged.
- The Puritans invented grandparents.
- Puritans were too well-endowed with power.
- In Puritan society, you could say that religion was the law, and God was the sheriff.
- In 1607, the Puritans left on the Mayflower, and landed at Jamestown, Massachusetts.
- The Puritans set sail from England on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.
- Anne Hutchinson would flee to Rhode Island, where she founded Judaism.
- When it came to religion, the Puritans were pretty balls-to-the-wall people.
- One notable Puritan leader was Andrew Jackson.
- Puritans established political parties like the Whigs.
- Puritans feared that Indians were sending evil spirits to possess their women, leading to the Pequot War and the Salem Witch Trials.
- Since the Puritans did not have a copy of "Colony Founding for Dummies," they just did what they thought God would like.
- Puritan religion was the centerfold of life in Massachusetts.
- The Puritans were probably so miserable because they had never heard the tale of Hampton the Hamster. Hampton the Hamster was born on July 25, 1995 to a single mother with only three legs. Hampton was born in a run-down cage with no shavings or running wheel. (This went on for six pages. It was like the David Copperfield of hamsters.)
QUESTION 2: Deals with the factors that led to America's victory in the Revolutionary War.
- Everyone knows the best way to decide who wins a war, but rock-paper-scissors is a very close second.
- George Washington, Robert E. Lee, and Ulysses S. Grant all helped to win the battle of Yorktown.
QUESTION 3: Deals with the role of slavery in causing the Civil War.
- President Hubert Humphrey did nothing to prevent secession.
- The Fugitive Slave Act gave the slaves the right to escape to the North and be free.
- Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation to officially declare war.
- Martin Luther King's famous "I have a dream" speech further rallied up Northerners, and his assassination was a direct cause of the Civil War.
- SLAVERY - the six-letter word that has no meaning whatsoever.
- Slavery is an unjust way of life for human beings. This is my opinion. There are other people who feel differently. This is where the trouble begins...
QUESTION 4: Deals with the role of women in causing reform during the Progressive era (1880-1920).
- The Bermuda Triangle Fire was very bad.
QUESTION 5: Deals with the importance of population shifts (suburbanization, immigration, Sunbelt) after WWII.
- With all the immigrants coming into the country and the soldiers getting all kinds of welcome-home sex, it was getting a little crowded.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Here is the last list of bloopers shared by my friend who was at grading of the Advanced Placement U.S. History exam.