Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ah, this feels good

Last week Daniel Henninger wrote that what makes people truly happy is having their favorite team win the big game. Think of how many people were made happy by New Orleans' victory in the Super Bowl.

And so I'm quite happy that Duke beat UNC last night. Even though UNC isn't the team this year that it had been in the past four years when they were beating Duke regularly, it still felt very nice to walk out of there with a win.

And for all that people around the country seem to delight in hating Coach Krzyzewski, at least he never said anything so offensively self-centered as what Roy Williams proclaimed to reporters on Tuesday.
"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life."
The guy didn't even seem to know saying something like that makes him appear. I think that the Cameron Crazies can have some fun with Roy Williams' self-absorption when UNC heads up the road in less than a month.

2 comments:

Pat Patterson said...

Yes, but I'll bet Pres Preval in Haiti probably gets a lot less hate mail from alumni for losing as Roy Williams gets. And Preval doesn't have to make recruiting trips either.

But I would like to point out that the combined NCAA basketball championships won by NC teams still don't add up to how many times UCLA won.

Linda said...

Well, to be fair, he didn't say that it was REALLY a catastrophe, he said, that, since his job depended on it, it seemed like it to him. I think of that as more of a reflection of how skewed his life is that he bases it all on how the team does.