Thursday, January 14, 2010

If I were in control of programming...

I don't care much about the whole Jay Leno - Conan O'Brien tussle. It's all past my bedtime anyway. But one programming ukase I'd like to issue is to ESPN. First, retire Dick Vitale. He's a negative to any game he's calling to such an extent that it's preferable to mute the game than to listen to his irritating verbal tics and pointless reminiscences from 20 years ago.

My second order would be to have Bobby Knight do every possible game, especially the Duke games. I was watching my beloved Blue Devils last night and realized that listening to Bobby Knight call a game is like a class at the feet of a master. As my husband commented, it's like getting all the value of the coaching without any of the screaming. If I were a player, I'd DVR the game and go back and take notes on every comment Knight made about my playing. If I were an aspiring player, I'd do the same thing. I learn so much about the game of basketball from listening to his comments. I so wish that he did more games. I'd listen even if I didn't care about the teams just to learn more about the game.

Why ESPN will put Vitale on the more signature games instead of Knight. Whom at ESPN HQ does Vitale have blackmail info on to keep from being sent out to pasture? Don't any of those honchos actually watch a game that the guy calls? Can't they see why Knight is so much better and should be their premier guy?

Just thinking....

4 comments:

Locomotive Breath said...

Yeah, I don't like Vitale's schtick either, but at least Billy Packer is gone.

Al McGuire was the best. Haven't heard Knight call a game, but I suspect he's good for the same reason. He knows the game and it's all about the game.

Bachbone said...

I haven't heard Knight, either. But Ive heard Vitale and share your dislike, Betsy. My gripe about most of the sports talking heads (and this includes women doing NCAA womens' basketball broadcasts), which I've shared with Networks when possible, is they never shut up. Not even for two seconds! As you mentioned, I mute the sound and watch in peace. Since they all do it, one can only assume they are being told to do so by their directors.

When I took music orchestration/arranging classes, one of the first things my prof taught me to avoid was the tendency to "overarrange." "Remember," he said, "silence is music, too." Sports broadcast directors - take note!

Christopher said...

I like Dick Vitale. I hope that one day I can have as much passion for anything as he has for basketball. Knight's a great X's-and-O's guy (much better than Dickie V, who praises everything) but his commentating style is pretty dry and full of dead air. Of course, all games should be called by Gus Johnson.

Pat Patterson said...

We had season tickets to UCLA basketball for over two decades and only recently did I hear the story about his pursuit of the Bruin job. He spoke to the AD at that time, JD Morgan, saying he was willing to leave the Univ ersity of Detroit in 1977 to come to UCLA. Problem was that Gene Bartow, eventually driven out by the fans, was only in the second year of a five year contract. Vitale was told thanks but no thanks. Vitale wasn't even invited back to interview when Bartow left that same year.