Monday, June 14, 2004

John Hawkins of Right Wing NEws polled bloggers on their favorite fictional characters. He has the list here. My daughter and I compiled a list together while driving back from Washington. It was a fun thing to do while we went stop and go in the traffic on 95 from Washington, DC. We were concerned that we didn't have many females on our list. The list had a definite spin to characters that a teenage girl is familiar with. I note a definite male spin for the RWN list. Here is our list.

Ari Ben Canaan (from Exodus)
Rhett Butler (Gone With the Wind)
Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything)
Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)
Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice
Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (from the novel)
Cliff Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
Cosmo Kramer (Seinfeld)
Dr. Romano (E.R.)
Rick (Casablanca)
James Bond
Mr. Spock (Star Trek)
Michael Corleone (The Godfather)
Lord Peter Wimsey (From the Dorothy Sayers novels)
Henry Higgins (from My Fair Lady)
Rumpole of the Bailey (from the John Mortimer novels)
Tevye (Fiddler on the Roof)
Hilts (Great Escape)
Nero Wolfe (from the Rex Stout novels)
Professor Kingsfield (Paper Chase)

My daughter would have added Wesley from The Princess Bride, but I think she would have been happy with Inigo Montoya. I chose Mr. Spock from Star Trek, but Captain Kirk is fine. I forgot about Sherlock Holmes and would have definitely included him. I am a mystery reader rather than a science fiction reader. So I missed out the sci fi and comic book characters. I bet there is a definite gender split on these things. It says something for Harrison Ford that he plays two of the top three characters.

Feel free to add your own choices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harry Flashman, from the epononymous novels by George MacDonald Fraser.

Captain Queeg, from "The Caine Mutiny"

photoncourier.blogspot.com